Herts Young Homeless Group seeks new Trustee – legal expertise required
Becoming a trustee with hyh offers a challenging and rewarding opportunity for you to be part of a fantastic homeless charity.
Overview of role
The duties of a Trustee are:
- To ensure that the charity complies with its governing document, charity law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- To ensure that the charity pursues its charitable objects as defined in its governing document
- To ensure the charity applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects, i.e. the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are
- To contribute actively to the executive committee’s role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- To safeguard the good name and values of the charity
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the charity
- To ensure the financial stability of the charity
- To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of the charity’s funds
- If the charity employs staff, to appoint and support the chief executive officer and monitor his or her performance
- In addition to the above statutory duties, each Trustee should use any specific knowledge or experience they have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This will involve scrutinising committee papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, and providing advice and guidance requested by the committee on new initiatives, or other issues relevant to the area of the charity’s work in which the Trustee has special expertise.
- Work closely with the NHS and other appropriate organisations, keeping abreast of developments which may affect the organisation to ensure informed decision making
- To act in an Ambassadorial role for the Friends and Herts Young Homeless at all times.
Each trustee must have:
- A commitment to the charity
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as a trustee
- Strategic vision
- Good independent judgement
- An ability to think creatively
- A willingness to contribute constructively to discussion and debate
- An ability to work effectively as a team member
For further information, a link to candidate brief and application details, please click here.