We are recruiting new Board Members for a new chapter for Rambert.
Located on the South Bank, London’s unrivalled cultural hub, Rambert’s stunning base is home to over 30 dancers from around the world in dedicated studios and creative spaces. From here we take our work nationally, with a firm commitment to audiences and communities around the country, and we also have a rapidly expanding international footprint. Under our new Artistic Director Benoit Swan Pouffer and Chief Executive/Executive Producer Helen Shute, Rambert is renewing its artistic programme, extending its touring horizons, and embarking on new talent development and community-based programmes throughout the country. We are looking for exceptional people who will help take forward the vision and strategy, challenge us, contribute ideas and energy and support our new leaders and their team of highly skilled and driven individuals in this exciting new period for one of the world’s most established and loved dance companies.
Rambert is one of the world’s leading dance companies, a name synonymous with diverse and international programming, and a British national treasure with loyal local audiences, and unrivalled reach to theatres throughout the UK. Our ambition is to be the world’s most exciting dance company, making dance resonate for the 21st century. We’ll achieve this by making and touring – to our neighbourhood, the nation and the world – dance that is relevant, accessible, radical, thought-provoking, inspiring and entertaining. Dance that stands out from the crowd. Dance that matters. We value these key ingredients for our future success:
- Creativity Rambert is an ever-growing creative community. We have a track record of embracing and celebrating diversity and are committed to seeking the voices less often heard and to being an open and porous organisation for people and ideas, irrespective of where or when they come from. We work hard to nurture an environment where people and ideas can succeed.
- Heritage We have so much to build on: the legacy of our founders, our near 100-year story of risk taking and re-invention and our pivotal role in the development of British dance. We learn from our predecessors and preserve and celebrate their work to ensure that those people and ideas that shaped our art form are not forgotten. Through the preservation of seminal works, we help ensure our art form commands the status, recognition and value it deserves.
- Ambition We have the freedom to be alternative, the opportunity to embrace new ideas and reach new audiences, and the responsibility to challenge the status quo – we want to see dance as a staple of the UK cultural diet and the UK dance scene celebrated around the world. We won’t stop working to achieve this.
JOIN THE BOARD
We are looking for new members to join our Board of Trustees. Led by our new Chair Dame Sue Street, we are building a board that can support our dynamic and diverse leadership and that shares our commitment to taking dance that matters to people locally, nationally and around the world. We’re after people from all walks of life who believe in our vision and want to help us achieve our goals.
We are particularly interested in hearing from people with skills, knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Communications and brand development
- Business development
- Technology/fintech/digital entrepreneurs
Board members are responsible for the governance of the company and guiding its strategic direction. The Board meets four times a year, normally in the early evening. Additional time may be required for subgroup committee meetings and engagement with the leadership team on specific ideas and projects. Board members are actively encouraged to attend performances, events, and rehearsals which take place in London, across the UK and internationally.
Experience and Skills
- We are seeking people who are enthusiastic about contemporary dance, and culture, and who can help us grow and change a beloved organisation for new generations of broader audiences.
- We are seeking a commitment for a period of 3-6 years.
- Previous experience is not required; induction and training is provided.
- Rambert actively encourages diversity across all areas of the organisation.
- Board members are volunteers, although out of pocket expenses can be paid to ensure members can attend meetings.
- We are an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation, a Registered Charity (number 326926). The trading company, Ballet Rambert Limited, its production subsidiary Rambert Productions Limited, and its parent company Rambert Trust Limited are companies limited by guarantee. Board Members serve for as trustees for the group of companies.
- You can find out more about Rambert and our work at rambert.org.uk and by following @rambertdance on social media.
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re interested, please apply with a short CV and covering letter (max 2 pages) outlining your motivation for applying and your contribution to the skills and networks we seek from our next cohort of Board Members. In applying we invite you to set out how much time you might be able to offer and how you are most likely to engage with us.
Please send your application to: Rosie Billington, Rambert, 99 Upper Ground, London SE1 9PP or email: email@example.com
If you’d like to talk to a current Board Member for more information, please contact Rosie to arrange a conversation with a member of the nominations committee
Deadline for applications is 12 noon on Friday 7 June 2019. Interviews are planned for July and September 2019.