BCKR is committed to protecting your privacy and abiding by the UK’s data protection legislation. This policy explains which personal information we hold, how we collect and use this information and the ways in which we protect your privacy. We ask you to read this statement carefully. Occasionally, we may change this policy so you may choose to re-read it from time to time to see the latest version.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL DATA
We keep a record of the name, email address, firm, telephone numbers and roles of our members, potential members, lapsed members, others in law firms who are involved with a firm’s membership or potential membership of BCKR, and those other individuals we come across who might be able to help lawyers better understand a lawyer’s options after retiring from the law, or the role of the non-executive and trustee. We also keep a record of a firm or individual’s dealings with BCKR.
We receive this information from individuals themselves, from their firms, or from third party introductions.
HOW WE USE PERSONAL DATA
We use this personal information for the running of BCKR in two ways.
- Administration – we contact individuals to assist firms and individuals in making decisions about taking up or renewing membership and we monitor when membership is up for renewal and fees are due.
- Keeping you informed – predominantly through emails, but also through LinkedIn, we keep current, past and potential future BCKR members updated about BCKR news and events. We also circulate lists of potential roles to our members. Occasionally we will get in touch with a broader range of individuals because we believe they might be interested in a particular piece of news or event.
The number of points of contact will vary depending on which category (current, past or future member, or other interested party) the individual falls into.
Please note that you can opt out of receiving our email updates at any time by getting in contact with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do not share any personal information with anyone outside BCKR, except to let JM Finn know who is attending each event. Occasionally, with the individual’s consent, we also make introductions to assist lawyers on their non-executive and trustee journey.
HOW LONG WE KEEP PERSONAL DATA
We keep information about our employees and consultants for six years. We keep contact details for others for three years after their membership lapses or they have last been in touch with us expressing an interest in our services. We keep publicly available details of lawyers and their roles indefinitely to allow us to monitor progress of lawyers towards the boardroom, unless the individual asks us to remove their details from our database.
WHERE WE STORE AND PROCESS PERSONAL DATA
We use the following third-party data processing systems and their privacy statements and policies can be found below.
- Email systems: Our email system is supported by either Google using the gmail web browser, by Apple using the Mail browser, or by Microsoft using the Outlook browser.
As we use these third-party storage systems, personal information may be stored in servers outside of the United Kingdom. However, we will only use your personal information in the United Kingdom.
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
We will process personal information in line with UK legislation. This means that we will:
- Only collect and hold personal information which we legitimately need for running BCKR’s business of assisting lawyers towards non-executive and trustee roles and more fulfilling retirements;
- Keep your personal information up to date and accurate (to help us do this, please let us know if any of your details change);
- Take appropriate steps to protect your personal information from being used without permission, or illegally, and to safeguard your rights; and
- Destroy your personal information in a secure way once we no longer need it or you have asked us to remove it.
YOUR RIGHTS OVER YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have certain rights over your personal information. Most importantly, you have a right to ask for a copy of all the personal information we hold about you. If you would like a copy of your personal information, you should contact us at email@example.com.