The University of Sussex Students’ Union seeks new Trustee – company law expertise sought
The University of Sussex Students’ Union is a charitable company. We’re a democratic, membership organisation and all students at the University of Sussex are automatically members of the Union. While we work really closely with departments from all across the University, we are a separate organisation. The Union also owns a trading subsidiary company which has its own Board. Any profits from these activities are gift-aided to the Union to support our charitable aims.
The Union and its trading subsidiary employ about 60 full-time and part-time staff and around 260 student staff, with a turnover of £7m. In the current situation that we all find ourselves in with the pandemic, the size of this operation has contracted considerably, but we hope to return to a similar size during the year ahead.
We exist to ensure students get as much as possible out of their time at the University of Sussex, and Brighton and Sussex Medical School. Whether that means providing opportunities to help them make friends, go to events, gain employability experience, try to change the world for the better, or just being there for them when things go wrong.
We are looking for motivated and experienced individuals to become trustees of the Union.
Skills and abilities (Essential):
– Offer challenge to management and officers
– Use your skills to help advance the Students’ Union
– Be a critical friend to the Students’ Union
– Be able to hold and justify an opinion/view, using evidence/analysis
– Listen and learn in debate and discussion
– Be an advocate for the Students’ Union
– Be able to network on behalf of the Students’ Union
Knowledge and experience
– Experience of working at a board level and of governance (Essential)
– Experience of the students’ union movement (Desirable)
Have expertise in one or more of the following (Essential):
– Social policy campaigning and advocacy
– Equalities and diversity legislation and/or experience of anti-racist campaigning
– Digital communications with regard to membership engagement
– Democratic governance
– Accounting and finance for charity sector organisations
– Company and/or charity law
– Human Resources Management
Personal attributes (Essential):
– Value student leadership; understand the importance of students actively shaping how we operate and what we do
– Being friendly and respectful of others in order to maintain a safe and considerate workplace
– Being honest, open and supportive of others, empowering others to be fulfilled in their role
– Being progressive, valuing equality, diversity and inclusion, ethics and the environment
– Act with integrity
Please click here for further information.