The Squad Club (learning disability/autism club) in Wimbledon seeks new board members
The Squad is based in Wimbledon and runs Thursday evening clubs for people with learning disabilities and autism. Our club nights are fun-packed and educational and our members enjoy socialising with their friends whilst also trying out new experiences. The charity has much local community support and impact.
The Squad is looking for new board members who are enthusiastic, committed and feel that they can add real value to the organisation. As a Trustee, and member of the Board, you will share collective responsibility for the overall strategic direction, organisational effectiveness and financial accountability in line with The Squad’s objectives.
Our trustees come from diverse backgrounds and meet every 8 weeks to ensure the smooth-running of The Squad.
We are particularly keen to hear from people with backgrounds in Legal and Safeguarding.
As a Trustee of The Squad, the commitment and energy which you contribute will make a direct and tangible difference to the charity and everyone it helps to support. Our club is split into two age groups 14 – 25 years (our Juniors Club) and 25 years+ (our Vets Club).
What are we looking for?
- A motivated individual who would like to use their professional or other experience to contribute to and develop an ambitious long term growth strategy for a local charity.
- We ask trustees to dedicate around 8 – 10 hours a month to work supporting the running, strategy, management and governance of The Squad.
- We particularly welcome applicants based in or around the Wimbledon area, who are able to help The Squad to build connections within the local community and are able to attend and support occasional club nights. However, as board meetings are now conducted via Zoom, location is not as crucial as it once was.
- Individual contribution varies a lot depending on the person’s skills, expertise and the time they can commit. We ask that trustees get involved with a variety of aspects of The Squad; from financial matters, governance, marketing, fundraising, strategy or line managing staff.
- The Squad is overseen by a Board of Trustees with a wide set of skills and experience. We draw our strength from having a team of people with a wide range of backgrounds.
- As our current Board is geographically dispersed, applicants should be comfortable working in a remote team and communicating via Zoom, email and telephone.
- Some trustees started as volunteers at the club, later moving on to the board. Others joined The Squad directly as trustees
- Current trustees have professional skills and experience in law, marketing, IT, finance, HR, and fundraising. The Squad club itself is based in South Wimbledon, however board meetings usually take place in central London, on a weekday evening every 8 weeks.
- Trustees are not expected to attend clubs on a regular basis, but are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the club programmes and join in with activities 2-3 times a year.
Benefits to joining The Squad as a trustee
- Contribute to and enable new opportunities and experiences for learning disabled children and adults
- Broaden your knowledge of how a small charity functions and is governed effectively
- The potential to be creative and experience the tangible outcomes of your hard work
- Supporting (sometimes on the front line) a well-respected and highly valued local charity
If you are shortlisted, you will be asked to provide a CV and have an informal, introductory phone call with a current trustee. You will then be invited to join a club night, where you will meet our club leaders and members of The Squad. Lastly, you will be invited to a panel interview.
Please note: due to the covid-19 pandemic, our clubs are not currently running in person. However, they have moved online. This means our recruitment process is different from normal. However, we are still keen to hear from potential trustees. Interviews will happen over Zoom.
Please click here for further information.