Anti Racism organisation seeks to appoint Volunteer Legal Counsel / Trustee
Would you like to make a difference in the fight against racism? Do you have experience with UK Charities and a legal background? We are creating a global database for statistics on racism. Together we can make a difference.
Racistat is in the process of registering as a Charity and we need help from a legal professional with experience of drafting a constitution, setting up board of trustees, submitting application to the charities commission. We are looking for someone to work with the on:
- setting up of the governance structure of the charity
- the appointment of trustees and drafting of related contracts
- creating a system of transparently managing intellectual property rights
- HR contract verification
- to act as general counsel
This role is temporary since it is very early days in the life of Racistat but we have in mind to work with people on a long term basis and become a member of team either as a trustee or a permanent or associate member.
What are we looking for?
Racistat is a charitable organisation with the objective of helping to identify the long standing issue of racial inequality and injustice to ethnic minorities. As part of our solution we will be requesting information from users (observers) that may have some data protection and digital protection regulations issues. For the setup of the solution, we need legal advice along the way to ensure that we are compliant with the current GDPR rules and other International data protection regulations.
What we are looking for is someone who is familiar with international data protection laws and the issues of making data available to law enforcement, government and other related bodies that can use the data we collect to identify incidents of racism. The data will be used strictly for the advancement of anti-prejudice agendas and we also need help in the drafting of our own rules and regulations for use of of data by third parties.
We would like a Legal Advisor that has experience with Data Protection and Digital Rights with excellent analytical, research and writing skills, and be able to work well within a diverse virtual team. At the initial stage we also need an advisor that has experience with setting up a charity in the UK and knowledge of the processes involved with registration of a UK charity.
Legal Advisor Responsibilities:
- Providing legal and process advice UK charity registration
- Conducting analysis of international data protection issues related to our solution
- Drafting of contract for staff, third party contractors and suppliers
- Providing legal advice on social media data usage
- Development of terms and conditions for user and partner agreements
Legal Advisor Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Law
- Experience in data protection and digital rights
- Coordination of legal analysis of digital rights
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work well within a team and individually
You will be the key person to help the organisation stay compliant with UK and International laws, rules and regulations with regards to Data Protection, Digital Rights and all contractual agreements. Our aim is to identify issues of prejudice particularly with regards to racial injustice. Your contribution will ensure the effective execution of our processes and ensure that we are compliant with a wide range of regulations along the way.
As part of the team you would be the go-to person for all legal issues and, depending on your interest and level of commitment, we are looking for a legal representative on the board of trustees. The legal advisor will be the ideal person to step into this role.
Please click here for further information.