Islamic Relief Worldwide seeks Independent member of the International General Assembly – law experience sought
Islamic Relief was established in Birmingham, UK, in 1984. We employ more than 2,000 staff across 40 offices around the world and we have no greater priority than ensuring that our work has the greatest positive impact on the people we serve. And, in doing so, we put our faith into action to bring about real social change.
Our projects work to help vulnerable communities meet the big challenges in their lives. We do this by taking an integrated approach to development; looking at the wider context and causes of their needs and promoting sustainable, environment-friendly outcomes. We are also determined to empower marginalized people with a strong voice that argues powerfully for the change they need to transform their lives.
Right across the Islamic Relief global family, our 2017-2021 Strategy focuses our resources, planning and programming on achieving these important aims.
In doing so, we work in partnership with those that share our vision of a world in which empowered and socially responsible communities respond as one to the suffering of others. Islamic Relief is a member of the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC); we have Consultative Status with the UN Economic and Social Council; and we are a signatory to the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
If you like what you have read so far and if you are committed to serving the millions trapped in poverty and suffering, then please apply for any appropriate vacancy below. We look forward to hearing from you.
IMPORTANT: Please note, for UK based roles, we are only able to accept applications from candidates who are eligible to work in the UK. We are unable to progress applications which would require sponsorship.
Inspired by our Islamic faith and guided by our values, we envisage a world where communities are empowered, social obligations are fulfilled and people respond as one to the suffering of others.
Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW) has been serving humanity for 37 years as an independent humanitarian and development organisation. With an active presence in over 45 countries across the globe, we strive to make the world a better and fairer place for the three billion people still living in poverty.
We believe that those in need have rights over people with wealth and power – regardless of race, political affiliation, gender, or belief. We provide lasting routes out of poverty, empowering people to transform their lives and their communities and serving people of all faiths according to need.
In 2020, IRW created its International General Assembly (IGA), the highest body of its global governance structure. We are now seeking to appoint Independent Members to the IGA, who will later be eligible to join the IRW Board of Trustees, as we expand the board.
Islamic Relief encourages diversity in its IGA members, including that of gender and experience in professional backgrounds such as law, finance, audit, humanitarian programming, monitoring and evaluation, human resources, information technology, public relations/communications, marketing/fundraising, and Shariah compliance. Independent members should preferably be resident in the UK or have lived in and continue to be very familiar with the UK.
As a member of the IGA, you must be fully committed to our values, and sharing our vision, mission and strategy. You are expected to attend meetings and devote the necessary time and effort to the role and to act in the best interest of the charity and the vulnerable people we serve.
As a member of the IGA your key responsibilities will be to:
- Participate in the activities of the IGA and to fulfil your assigned tasks
- Act at all times in a manner that corresponds with Islamic Relief Worldwide’s values, aims and objectives
- Help the charity work toward achieving our vision and mission, with a focus on the long-term benefit of the charity and the people we serve
- Support the setting of our priorities and objectives with a focus on strategic planning and governance.
- Participate in approving annual plans, strategies, and budgets
- Promoting IRW’s vision, mission and values and demonstrate IRW’s values in all the IGA’s work
We are seeking exceptional candidates with a breadth of experience who will enhance Islamic Relief Worldwide’s strategic development. You will have the following skills and qualities:
- A deep commitment and passion for IRW’s faith inspired values, vision, and mission
- Considerable professional experience in at least one of the following: law, finance, auditing, monitoring and evaluation, humanitarian programming, human resource management, information technology, public relations/communications, marketing /fundraising, Shariah compliance
- Strategic vision and critical thinking• Strong problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills
- Knowledge of the legislative and operating framework for charities, voluntary and community sector organisations, especially an understanding of Charity Commission of England and Wales requirements
- A good understanding of the context within which IRW operates
- Teamwork, including good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willing to be an ambassador for IRW.
- Demonstrate through words and behaviour – both now and in the past – your alignment with IRW’s values and expectations from the role
For application details, please click here.