Charity for dancers with disabilities ‘icandance’ seeks new Chair
icandance is a London based charity which uses dance to connect, celebrate and support children and young people with disabilities. We aim to nurture learning, creativity and wellbeing for dancers with disabilities as well as support their families in working creatively to meet the needs of their child.
The charity offers weekly dance sessions giving children and young people with disabilities opportunities to create, perform and engage through an approach which integrates education, dance and psychotherapy.
icandance aims to improve lives, change perspectives, support communities and inspire creativity.
icandance aims to challenge the way dance, disability, wellbeing and inclusion is experienced by communities and other professionals.
Our board consists of professional leaders and parents who are passionate about what icandance offers the wider community and are actively engaged in its development and growth. The board works closely with the Founder and Executive Team.
We seek a new Chair that can build on current good practice to launch icandance further as a provider of a unique opportunity for families and as an advocate for change amongst fellow professionals.
The role requires an energetic, dynamic leader who is passionate about the arts, disability, wellbeing and inclusion. The individual would have a strong, active board that would support their leadership whilst working closely with a passionate founder. The organisation is driven, creative and committed to our core values and vision.
The role of the Chair is actively engaged in strategic guidance and advocacy within professional communities.
Duties of the Chair:
- To provide leadership to the Charity and its Board, ensuring that the Charity has maximum impact for its beneficiaries.
- To hold the Board and Executive Team to account for the Charity’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees
- To ensure that the Board fulfils its duties to ensure the sound financial health and financial sustainability of the Charity
- To ensure Board decisions are implemented
- To ensure that the Board of Trustees have the skills, knowledge and experience needed to govern and lead the Charity effectively
- To work within any agreed policies adopted by the Charity
- To work closely with the Founder and CEO to give direction to Board policymaking and to ensure that meetings are well planned, meaningful and reflect the responsibilities of Trustees
- To be an advocate of the work within various communities and professional relationships and where necessary to seek out these opportunities to further the sustainability of icandance.
Relationship with the Principal and management team:
- To establish and build a strong, effective and constructive working relationship with the CEO, ensuring they are held to account for achieving agreed strategic objectives
- To ensure regular contact with the CEO and develop and maintain an open and supportive relationship.
- A professional leader who is able to manage a board based on years of experience and skill with specific understanding of the disability sector
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Good understanding of charity and/or corporate governance issues
- Experience of the charity sector and financial management of an organisation
- Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to the charity, its strategic objectives and cause
- Strategic vision and good, independent judgement
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate and support community building
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of the Charity.
Time commitment: 4 Board meetings per year plus an AGM. The Chair is also expected to have regular meetings with the CEO and represent the Charity at various events and meetings
Please click here for further information.