Tower Hamlets Friends & Neighbours seeks new Trustee
Tower Hamlets Friends and Neighbours (THFN), is a small charity working with older people experiencing loneliness and social isolation. We have been supporting Older People people in the borough of Tower Hamlets since 1947, through befriending working with over 250 people a year through a small staff team. Whilst normally, the befriending would take place in peoples homes, since the pandemic, we have been switched to distance befriending.
We are now looking to refresh our Board of trustees, and are particularly looking for people who have the time to add value to the Board, and make a significant difference to the organisation. The Board meets four or five times a year at our offices in Bethnal Green, (currently meeting virtually) and the time required from you amounts to around 4 hours a month.
We are particularly interested in recruiting people who have experience on social care, the not for profit sector, or those that are now approaching the end of their working life and want to make a difference to others.
All Trustees: Main tasks:
To work with fellow Trustees in:
- formulating THFN’s strategic aims and reviewing them regularly to ensure that they remain relevant
- developing realistic plans, with milestones, to achieve these aims and monitoring progress in implementing them
- keeping the performance of THFN and its financial position under review and ensuring that corrective action is taken if necessary
- appointing the chief executive and holding him/her to account
- ensuring that the governance and working of the organisation conform with best practice and statutory requirements
1.Formulating and reviewing strategic aims
Keep sight of the organisation’s purpose and its beneficiaries as a whole. Critically review any option to ensure that it reflects that purpose, and will achieve the desired results for beneficiaries. Ensure that discussions reflect the organisation’s vision and values.
2.Developing realistic strategic and annual plans, with milestones, to achieve these aims and monitoring progress in implementing them
Contribute to the construction of plans based on objectives achievable within resources, and directly related to THFN’s overall aims. Ensure that accountability for delivering objectives within the plan are clearly stated and understood. Regularly review progress in achieving objectives, ensuring that measures to recover lost progress are in place.
3.Keeping the performance of THFN and its financial position under review, and ensuring that corrective action is taken if necessary.
Contribute to the review of THFN’s performance and financial position, including performance against budget and future cash flow projections. Ensure that remedial action is taken to deal with emerging concerns.
4.Ensuring that the governance and working of the organisation conform with best practice and statutory requirements
- Be familiar with THFN’s formal responsibilities and its legal obligations.
- Oversee the use of THFN’s funds, ensuring that they are restricted to pursuit of its charitable aims.
- Ensure that the organisation’s structure and processes are consistent with these, are transparent and reflect best practice.
- Draw on personal skills and experience of other bodies, and engage in training sessions, in order to contribute constructively to Board discussions.
In addition, each Trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience he/she has to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions.
Please click here for further information.