Charity for children with additional needs seeks new Trustee with law experience
Jigsaw Thornbury: We are a charity supporting children and young people with additional needs and disabilities and their families through a variety of support services. Our vision is to empower our families to connect, fit in, and thrive as themselves.
We provide regular activities such as our lending library and support groups. We also run bookable events in the holidays and after school. These activities include forest schools, horse riding, therapeutic music sessions and dance classes. We also run training sessions for parents and carers and run a scheme for our young volunteers.
Our values run through everything we do, from the services we offer, to the way we work together as a team.
Community – We are a family, working together, and connecting and collaborating with others to create change. We are a respected community base, providing a welcoming space to have fun and create shared experiences.
Empowerment – We are nurturing and supportive, prioritising wellbeing and empowering people to thrive as themselves. We build skills and confidence in individuals and the community so that they can grow and develop beyond the services we provide.
Compassion – We act with kindness and integrity, caring for and supporting each other in an empathetic way. We create relationships based on trust so that everyone can feel valued and respected.
Uniqueness – We respect and celebrate difference, creating an environment where everyone fits in. We listen to and respond to individual needs, providing the tools needed to find strength in uniqueness.
Innovation – We respond to challenges and opportunities in a creative way, harnessing the passion we have for our cause. We are not afraid to try new things and be leaders for change to ensure we remain relevant to people’s lives.
A JIGSAW Thornbury trustee acts as a critical friend, offering a balance of support and challenge to enable us to deliver our charitable purpose with as much impact as possible.
The role sits as part of a board of trustees who have accountability for achieving the charitable purpose and ensuring all funds are spent appropriately.
Each trustee brings unique skills and experience to the board, and together we ensure good governance and strategic focus. We are particularly interested in hearing from people with experience in finance, law, HR and recruitment, and marketing and communications, although please do still get in touch if your experience is in other areas.
- Ensure compliance with the charity’s governing document, Charity Commission guidance, and the law.
- Ensure accountability and maintain proper financial oversight.
- Attend quarterly trustee meetings and contribute to decision-making at meetings and outside of meetings when needed.
- Contribute to reviews and updates to our strategy and provide strategic focus.
- Contribute to reviewing and updating JIGSAW policies & procedures.
- Liaise with appropriate members of the team & share relevant skills and knowledge that may be beneficial to the organisation, including contributing to specific projects and staff training if relevant.
- Provide guidance and support to the staff and have oversight of the charity.
- Champion JIGSAW and exemplify our values in everything done on behalf of the charity.
- Occasionally attend and support JIGSAW events and activities.
Being a JIGSAW trustee is very rewarding. You will be joining a fun, dynamic and committed team of trustees, staff and volunteers, who work together to achieve our charitable purpose. There will be opportunities to use your unique skills to benefit the charity and to get involved in areas that you want to grow your experience in.
Please click here for further information.