Brighton People’s Theatre seeks new Trustee with legal skills
Brighton People’s Theatre is aiming to recruit up to four new Trustees, to join the Board of Directors. Brighton People’s Theatre Board plays a central role in the life of the company and is responsible for ensuring excellence governance, guarding the values and purpose of the organisation. Members of the Board are committed to the work of the organisation and enabling change in the way theatre is made and accessed in the UK today. Board Members will be committed to Brighton People’s Theatre being an equal, diverse and inclusive organisation, and this will be reflected in the make up of the Board and how we work.
This is an extraordinary time to be an arts organisation, as we navigate the changing conditions of operating in a pandemic. Brighton People’s Theatre has continued to provide services to our members throughout the pandemic, and we are expanding our reach this September as we roll out workshops in priority areas across Brighton & Hove. We need to review our future plans on how best we can increase our impact and ensure our artistic activity and financial model align.
We believe that Brighton People’s Theatre has an important role to play in recovery from providing opportunities within the communities we work with to advocating for the importance of co-creation in theatre. Leading by example, we want to ensure that the communities we work with not only have their stories represented on stage but there is more diverse representation in the arts and in our company.
Brighton People’s Theatre is currently undertaking a conversion from a Community Interest Company (CIC) to a Community Interest Organisation (CIO) and is awaiting Charity Registration. We expect this to be in place before new Trustees come on board. Our non-executive Board is responsible for:
- setting policy
- ensuring sound financial management
- securing the future of the Company through advice on fundraising and networking with senior policy makers
- appointing senior staff
- supporting the senior staff in their activities
We are keen to recruit Trustees with the any of the following areas of sector experience:
- HR & Organisational Development- with experience of power sharing models in the Arts or Third Sector
- Theatre Professional – experience of co-creation with National perspective of theatre
- Legal – a current gap in knowledge and skills on the Board
- Digital – enabling inclusion using digital platforms, this could be from marketing to programming
- Community Organising – ideally based in one of the following areas: Portslade, Bevendean & Moulsecoomb, Whitehawk, Tarner Brighton People’s Theatre is committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome interest from all sectors and backgrounds and particularly welcome applications from those identifying as working class.
Please click here for further information.