Disability charity ‘Lambeth Accord’ seeks new Trustee with property legal expertise
Lambeth Accord is seeking new trustees. We are based in Brixton, and one of Lambeth’s largest community hubs and London biggest disability hub. We currently house 16 front line disability charities or organisations related to disability. We are 336 is the operating name of Lambeth Accord.
Board Members Key Responsibilities
To ensure that ‘We are 336’:-
- Complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations,
- Pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document,
- Uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives.
- To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the vision and values of ‘We Are 336’
- To promote, communicate and extend the engagement of ‘We Are 336’ with, and by, its wider stakeholders.
- To use your influence to raise the profile of ‘We Are 336’.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- To ensure the financial stability of the organisation and ensure the organisation operates within a sound financial framework.
- To protect and manage the property of the organisation and to ensure the proper investment of its funds.
- To assist with fundraising, or bring contacts who will assist the organisation to fundraise.
- To appoint the Director and monitor his/her performance.
In addition each Trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve;
- Scrutinising board papers
- Focusing on key issues
- Providing guidance on new initiatives
- Attending meetings on behalf of the Board
- Hearing specific HR cases
- Supporting the fundraising and communications functions of the organisation
- Participating in sub groups or Task and Finish groups for specific projects.
As a charity our Trustee roles are voluntary. Out of pocket and travel expenses will be reimbursed.
What are we looking for?
Background, key responsibilities and duties
‘We are 336’ is the operating name of Lambeth Accord, a registered charity, no.289069. We are a disability hub based in Lambeth, providing accessible and affordable office space to our community of disability, older people’s and carers’ charities which deliver a wide range of much needed frontline services, both locally, regionally and nationally.
We have accessible conference and meeting space which is used by local community organisations and their partners. The environment we offer is friendly, inclusive and encourages co-operative working.
We provide furnished offices for new start-up disability organisations at peppercorn rent in their first, vital year of operation, allowing them to establish themselves and become registered charities.
We have ambitious plans to re-create our premises to transform the building and the local environment. Our vision for the building is that it will be at the leading edge for disability access and will be both bold and beautiful and a pleasure to be in for all our users.
What difference will you make?
We own our large building. In the short term we looking to work with a number of local groups and the Council to create two community kitchens and to convert a large space into a storage and distribution depot for local food banks. In the longer term however, we wish to redevelop the site to expand our office content so that we can house more charities and provide up to date accommodation. It is possible that this could involve a larger development including some of our neighbours.
Our vision for our premises is to create a landmark building, at the leading edge for disability access.
We are looking to increase our Board of trustees to support our work and would be pleased to hear from you if you.
- Are excited by the idea of contributing to a new venture
- Are passionate about supporting disabled people and their organisations
- Have skills and experience in any of the following:
- Property Legal expertise and knowledge
- Surveyor with valuation expertise
Please click here for further information.