Youth theatre charity seeks to appoint lawyer as new Company Secretary Trustee
Youth theatre charity RicNic is recruiting for a Company Secretary to join their board of trustees. You will be joining a warm, forward-thinking board, passionate about supporting young people to reach their potential
What will you be doing?
RicNic is a theatre charity (Charity No.: 1158837) working with young people aged 7-25 in various locations across the country. Based in Walsall, we currently deliver work in the West Midlands, East Staffordshire, East Cheshire, Hampshire, and Oxfordshire. Our projects are delivered in schools, community settings and professional theatre venues. Though the projects we run are diverse, they are united in being offered free of charge to our young participants, and in using theatrical arts and skills as a vehicle to become responsible leaders, to grow in confidence, and to develop life-long friendships.
Established by 16-year olds as a holiday project in 2004, RicNic has since grown into a charity reaching with hundreds of young people each year. We now run 4 programmes, with a focus on bringing opportunities to areas of low cultural engagement
The charity is funded through grants from trusts and foundations, donations from individuals, and ticket sales to annual productions. RicNic is run on a by a small staff team (1 FT, 2PT) and is supported by a network of creative industry associates and ambassadors.
RicNic has undergone a period of significant expansion and change in recent years, with exciting developments in our programme offer, beneficiary reach and strategic planning. Due to a long-standing board members reaching the end of their term of office we are now looking to recruit a Company Secretary to join the board.
We are looking for individuals who have a strong interest in RicNic’s work and a passion for supporting young people to achieve their potential. Candidates should possess a positive, ‘can-do’ outlook as well as a good sense of humour. You will be joining us at a pivotal point in our history, with the potential to make a real difference to the young people who engage with us.
The Secretary will
- Liaise with the Chair and Executive Director to schedule quarterly meetings, prepare agendas and relevant papers.
- Act as charity secretary ensuring that charity law and all reporting requirements are complied with.
- Guide the board on any legal implications of RicNic’s strategic plan.
- Act as the custodian for RicNic’s governing documents, insurance policies and operating policies, ensuring that all are revised and renewed at regular intervals.
- Minute board meetings, accurately record discussions and decisions, and circulate action points to all trustees.
- Ability to apply knowledge of legal requirements relating to charitable law and associated governance to support RicNic to achieve its aims.
- Ability to use legal knowledge to help to inform RicNic’s strategic plan.
- Ability to take a leading role on the board in ensuring compliance with laws and regulations associated with the delivery of RicNic’s services.
- Highly organised with experience of minute taking.
- Understanding or experience of the requirements of the Charity Commission.
- Strong communication skills.
- Qualified Lawyer or Chartered Governance Professional.
We are looking to recruit a Secretary to the Board of Trustees who can ensure the smooth running of meetings, providing support to the Chair of Trustees. The Secretary will be responsible for legal and regulatory requirements affecting the charity and its projects, ensuring that all submissions to the Charity Commission are made within deadline and that all activities run in line with RicNic’s governing document.
Please click here for further information.