Lone refugee charity ‘The Separated Child Foundation’ seeks new Trustee
This is a wonderful opportunity to make a difference to the lives of lone refugee youth! The charity is at an exciting stage of its development. We’re keen to recruit more Trustees to strengthen and broaden our skills and understanding.
What will you be doing?
The important role of a Trustee is to ensure that The Separated Child Foundation fulfils its duty to its beneficiaries through its charitable activities, delivers on our mission and is governed competently and with integrity.
The Board of Trustees, working collectively, needs to act to ensure that The Separated Child Foundation:-
- Has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction on which it is focused
- Pursues its objectives, as defined in its Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives
- Is effectively and efficiently administrated
- Is financially stable by protecting and managing its property, and investing its funds soundly
The Board appoints the Chief Executive Officer (whenever a vacancy arises) and monitors their performance.
Individual Trustees need to:-
- Contribute actively to the Board’s collective role in giving The Separated Child Foundation firm strategic direction, creating policy, defining goals and setting targets, and evaluating performance
- Take responsibility for the performance of The Separated Child Foundation and for its organisational behaviour, so that it complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Safeguard the good name of the organisation
- Ensure that the governance of The Separated Child Foundation is of the highest possible standard
- Act as guardians of the charity’s assets, both tangible and intangible, taking all due care over their security, deployment and proper application
- Make full use of their specific skills, knowledge or experience to help the Board make good decisions and advance the activities of The Separated Child Foundation
The above list of duties is indicative only and not exhaustive. Trustee are expected to perform additional duties that are reasonably commensurate with the role.
What are we looking for?
As a growing organisation we are keen to recruit Trustees with the skills and experience to support that growth, for example a Trustee with a background in HR and / or law. We particularly welcome applications from people who have the lived experience of a separated child or a refugee in another situation, or else have been working for organisations that support refugees, and from people in under-represented communities.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship
- Prior experience as a Trustee or member of a committee
- Knowledge of the type of work undertaken by The Separated Child Foundation
- Commitment to the objects, aims and values of The Separated Child Foundation, and willingness to devote time to carry out responsibilities
- Strategic and forward-looking vision in relation to The Separated Child Foundation
- Good, independent judgement, political impartiality and the ability to think creatively
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to respect the confidences of colleagues
- Ability to balance tact and diplomacy with willingness to challenge and criticise constructively
- A wider involvement in the voluntary sector
We’re committed to creating a diverse Board of Trustees that truly reflects the multi-ethnic nature of our society, including the children and young people that we support.
Please click here for further information.