Designed by lawyers for lawyers with 3-5 years left before retirement, this is a fast paced, interactive, online course of six 1.5-hour weekly sessions for up to 10 participants. This course is also available in-person.
You will receive PowerPoint slides and a recording of each session. You also have access to a private LinkedIn group where you can share ideas, engage with fellow participants and the facilitators. At the end of the course, each participant will receive an optional 1:1 coaching session as an aid to action planning.
This BCKR course is led by Niall Foster, a highly experienced professional skills trainer, well versed in the ways of on-line group work. See www.linkedin.com/in/niallfoster. At each session, Niall will be joined by BCKR directors who will add their perspective and experience.
Benefits to You
- Explore options beyond your present career
- Have time to focus on what you want from your ‘retirement’
- Learn from peer experiences as a guide to your own planning
- Create clarity about your future
- Receive a personal boost by seeing what you have and can still achieve, in your firm or away from it
Benefits to your Firm
- Help partners to retire positively at the right time
- Demonstrate a culture of individual care that permeates through your firm
- Motivate partners to leave on a high and be ‘alumni ambassadors’
Session 1: New Life Options
- What does your life look like now and how do you want it to look? What do you not want?
- Consider options by using the ‘BCKR Assessment’ to self-assess and fit to your values
- What skills do you need to develop now for the future?
Session 2: Re-Discovering Yourself
- Separate your identity from that of your firm
- How projecting the image of your firm can impact personal ambition and initiative
- Effectively promote your new identity
Session 3: A Personal Case Study
- Learning to let go and planning well ahead
- Learning new skills – honing them within the firm before leaving
- Practicalities – developing a personal brand, mission, vision, networking, money, health, IT, PA, legal structure
Session 4: Money Matters & Estate Planning
- What are your future financial needs (personal needs, tax and estate planning)?
- Securing paid work through Non-Executive Directorships or consulting
- The practicalities of setting up a small business (legal structure, accounts, branding, pricing and marketing)
Session 5: Health for Life
- Tips on improving your health
- Exercise and finding time to exercise
- Mental health
Session 6: A ‘What Now?’ Workshop
- Course review and ‘swap shop’ of lessons learnt
- Action planning for the way ahead
- Tips for when you hit roadblocks
- 1:1 coaching session with one course facilitator